Wednesday, January 6, 2010

2009 - Best Albums by Men (According to Andrew)

When I try to fit so many albums on a list, ranking starts to reach a level of absurdity.

I had about 130 or so that I chose to listen to, and I added a couple here and there as I explored...I did have to sample a lot. But I listened to enough to know what to do. But it did get to the point where it was obvious that five or six albums in a row were of equal quality...so basically, if it's on this list, I recommend it.

I disqualified "Dark Was the Night" for myself even though it is excellent...it's a compilation of various modern indie bands as part of the Red Hot series of albums which benefit AIDS groups. It's simply too hard to know how to rank it, but I DO recommend it.

Why is this list so much longer than my women's list? Put simply, there are simply more male-created artists that I am drawn to. Note though that my number 2 album is really a team effort, men and women together making music. And Matt & Kim...one of each!

Another one I missed: the live Tom Waits album, Glitter and Doom Live. I was leaving out live albums, but I noticed as I was digging up video links that the Steve Vai album was of course live. Obviously Tom Waits never really does wrong, so if I had caught the mistake earlier, I would have removed Steve's album. Anyway, both are excellent as far as live albums go.


1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion (the Fall Be Kind EP is fantastic too, but I'll restrict to one release)



2. The Decemberists - The Hazards of Love


3. Baroness - Blue Record


4. Bill Callahan - Sometimes I Wish We Were an Eagle


5. Mastodon - Crack the Skye


6. U2 - No Line on the Horizon


7. The Red Chord - Fed Through the Teeth Machine


8. Mos Def - The Ecstatic


9. Sonic Youth - The Eternal


10. Wolfmother - Cosmic Egg


11. Pete Doherty - Grace/Wasteland


12. Gomez - A New Tide


13. Torche - Healer/Across the Shields EP


14. Wilco - Wilco (The Album)


15. Piano Magic - Ovations


16. Matt & Kim - Grand


17. Mumford & Sons - Mumford & Sons


18. Orthodox - Sentencia
I cannot find a musical sample for you, but you can read about this Spanish Doom/Jazz band here: http://www.thesirenssound.com/2009/09/22/orthodox-sentencia/

19. Flaming Lips - Embryonic


20. Yosh - Fistful of Lies


21. Morrissey - Years of Refusal


22. Les Claypool - Of Fungi and Foe


23. Mowgli - 93


24. Sondre Lerche - Heartbeat Radio


25. NOFX - Coaster


26. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix


27. Monsters of Folk - Monsters of Folk


28. Jay-Z The Blueprint 3


29. The Joint Chiefs of Math - You Are Here

(I wish there was a better video for these guys, so listen here: http://www.myspace.com/thejointchiefsofmath)

30. Causa Sui - Summer Sessions vol. 2 and 3 (not sure how to break these up...they are equally good...and volume 1 came out in 2008, and now they have all three out there as a set.)


31. Arctic Monkeys - Humbug


32. The Big Pink - A Brief History of Love


33. The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You


34. Midlake - The Courage of Others


35. El Grupo Nuevo de Omar Rodriguez Lopez - Cryptomnesia


36. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest

Is this the creepiest video ever?

37. Mr. Scruff - Ninja Tuna


38. Mexican Institute of Sound - Soy Sauce


39. The Mountain Goats - The Life of the World to Come


40. Steve Vai - Where the Wild Things Are


41. Megadeth - Endgame


42. Bruce Springsteen - Working on a Dream


43. Moby - Wait For Me


44. Other Lives - Other Lives


45. Marduk - Wormwood


46. Tom Russell - Blood and Candle Smoke


47. Julian Casablancas - Phrazes for the Young


48. For Against - Never Been
Check it out here: http://www.myspace.com/foragainst

49. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca

Somehow I messed up...this should have been on my women's list. Well, enjoy it and don't complain ;-)

50. Snoop Dogg - Malice in Wonderland


51. The Who Boys - Now That's What I Call the Who Boys!
Couldn't find videos, but you can download the album for free on their website: http://www.zen8003.zen.co.uk/twic/index.html

52. Jay Brannan In Living Cover


53. Bob Dylan - Together Through Life


54. The Barcode Experiment - Yellow Ball, Glass Wall

Not the best video! Check 'em out here: http://www.myspace.com/thebarcodeexperiment

55. Bear in Heaven - Beast Rest Forth Mouth


56. Brakes - Touchdown


57. Akron/Family - Set 'Em Wild, Set 'Em Free


58. Jarvis Cocker - Further Complications


59. Girls - Album


60. John Vanderslice - Romanian Names


61. Jay Reatard - Watch Me Fall


62. Ryan Leslie - Transition


63. Napalm Death - Time Waits for No Slave


64. Gallows - Grey Britain


65. Titãs - Sacos Plásticos


66. Elvis Costello - Secret, Profane & Sugarcane


67. Eels - Hombre Lobo


68. Mama Rosin - Black Robert


69. Phish - Joy


70. Meat Puppets - Sewn Together


71. Mariachi El Bronx - Mariachi El Bronx


72. Loney, Dear - Dear John


73. Nick Cave & Warren Ellis - The Road (score)


74. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport


75. M. Ward - Hold Time


76. Dinosaur Jr. - Farm


77. Mudvayne - Mudvayne


78. Nox Arcana - Blackthorn Asylum


79. Isis - Wavering Radiant


80. Son O))) - Monoliths and Dimensions
You can hear one of the songs here: http://www.myspace.com/southernlordrecordings

81. Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs


82. Aerosol - Airborne


83. Vomit Heat - The Melody Haunts My Reverie EP
http://www.myspace.com/vomitheat

84. With Abandon - Maturation EP


85. Woodpigeon - Die Stadt Muzikanten


86. The Swell Season - Strict Joy


87. Church of Misery - Houses of the Unholy


88. Converge - Axe to Fall


89. Cymbals Eat Guitars - Why There Are Mountains


90. Drake - So Far Gone


91. The Prodigy - Invaders Must Die!


92. The Mighty Mighty Bosstones - Pin Points and Gin Joints


93. The Lytics - The Lytics

One I should have probably ranked higher.

94. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers


95. Candlemass - Death Magic Doom


96. Calamar Audio - Squid Fluid
http://www.myspace.com/calamaraudio

97. Brutal Truth - Evolution Through Revolution


98. Boris - Japanese Heavy Rock Hits (EP)


99. Pains of Being Pure at Heart - Pains of Being Pure at Heart


100. Mark Vidler - Tension (EP)
http://www.myspace.com/markvidlerGHP
http://www.gohomeproductions.co.uk/

101. Lamb of God - Wrath


102. The Devil's Blood - The Time of No Time Evermore


103. Adam Lambert - For Your Entertainment


104. Bad Lieutenant - Never Cry Another Tear


105. Miles Benjamin Anthony Robinson - Summer of Fear


106. Coalesce - OX


107. W.A.S.P. - Babylon


108. Hatebreed - Hatebreed


109. The Leisure Society - The Sleeper

I guess this is a re-release. I don't know much about it...

110. Bibio - Abrasion


111. Biffy Clyro - Only Revolutions


112. Crystal Method - Divided By Night


113. The Mars Volta - Octahedron


114. Anaal Nathrakh - In the Constellation of the Black Widow


115. My Dying Bride - For Lies I Sire


116. Harlem Shakes - Technicolor Health


117. Robin Thicke - Sex Therapy: The Experience


118. Revocation - Existence is Futile


119. Atlas Sound - Logos


120. Nile - Those Whom the Gods Detest


121. The Positives - Person L


122. Letting Up Despite Great Faults - Letting Up Despite Great Faults


123. Holopaw - Oh, Glory, Oh, Wilderness.


124. Amorphis - Skyforger

1 comment:

  1. Looking at these lists now, in March, I can see how I'd totally re-rank these, but I like that I spent the time because it's kind of a snapshot of the year...please don't take the "order" too seriously...I probably shouldn't have even numbered them...just did this alphabetically or something. Maybe next year!

    ReplyDelete

There was an error in this gadget
There was an error in this gadget