Tuesday, July 27, 2010

The smallness of spirituality, sometimes

I share this because in all the debate that continues about God vs science (as if there needs to be any opposition between the two), all the wondering about our individual problems, concerns about gay marriage, concerns about the U.S. becoming a theocracy, and so much else, is the God in question the God of all the earthlings, all the earth-like-planetlings, or is all of this explained in some bigger way? As I make my own way along the path of life, the spiritual life, whatever phase I feel like I'm in, whatever label I slap on myself to tell people what I believe, is insufficient, or too specific, or too small.

When I see stories like this, my spiritual view just seems to small to hold it all.

----

More than 100 'Earth-like' planets discovered in past few weeks

By Niall Firth
Last updated at 11:43 AM on 23rd July 2010

(Excerpt):
The breakthrough raises the tantalising prospect that we may not be alone in the Universe.

Scientists now believe that there are likely to be around 100 million planets in the Milky Way that harbour exactly the right conditions for life.

And they expect to be able to identify around 60 of these habitable Earth-like planets within the next two years.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1296841/More-100-Earth-like-planets-just-past-weeks.html#ixzz0uvYCCHw5

1 comment:

  1. The Franciscans had as required reading a little book by J.B. Phillips called "Your God is Too Small." This article makes a good illustration of that book's point. We can't make up a God that is big enough yet as restrictive as some would have God be. I think this article illustrates why.

    ReplyDelete